Thursday, September 6, 2012

I Can't Believe I Live Here

Oh my goodness. So so much has happened within the past few days! I guess I will begin after my last post from the airport in Toronto....
My layover in Toronto was not supposed to be very long. I was just sitting and waiting for them to call my flight up to the gate, but they never did, so I went up to look, and it wasn't there! My flight had changed gates and I never heard them say it. I missed the largest leg of my flight.... I had gone up to the service desk and they said there would not be another flight until 5:00 in the morning! They were asking me if I needed help finding a hotel for the night. I was incredibly upset! It was like a movie --- "And then, when all hope was lost..." Haha --- but really. I thought I had no chance of making it to my orientation. Then they said to hold on a second because my flight was coming back!!! I thought surely not just because I missed it... nope. A man had a seizure right as they were about to take off and they had to come back to get him off!
The airport employees were beyond helpful. They told me to follow them, took me to the hallway to get on the airplane, and told me to stand there until the paramedics got the man off the plane (who looked perfectly fine!). A manager, made sure that someone brought my luggage up from where it was being held and put it on the plane when the other man's luggage was being taken off. I cannot believe how lucky I got! And neither could anyone else. Everyone kept saying how this has never happened before, and after I got on the plane everyone knew me as "the girl who missed her flight, but go incredibly lucky". Haha. It was a tad embarrassing, but I made it!
Once I got to Frankfurt, I had already missed my connecting flight because the flight from Toronto was delayed for so long, so I had to wait 4 hours for another flight to Torino. I didn't care because I was just happy I made it to Europe, even though this delay would mean I would miss the group transportation to the hotel. I went to buy a bus ticket and I saw a guy holding a USAC folder. He was a student from California going to the same place I was! My credit card wouldn't work on the ticket machine, so he (his name is Joey) bought me one and we headed to the hotel together to find everyone else. We got there when everyone was at the group dinner, and we got to the restaurant when they were leaving, and we were starving, so it sucked! They took us on a short tour around downtown Torino which was very helpful, but afterwards Joey  and I were still hungry so we went to go eat some pizza and have some wine. IT. WAS. SO. GOOD. I don't know how eating pizza in America is going to compare anymore, and of course the wine was unbelievable. We moved into our apartments the next day and I met my two roommates, Christina (from Ohio) and Nicolina from Naples. We haven't seen Nicolina much, but Christina and I get along so well! It's awesome. We also made really good friends with other USAC students that live across the street from us, Sam, Joe and Joey.
I love where we live! I love all the people here. I love the food and just everything is so amazing!
I went into a caffe this morning and ordered a cappuccino and pastry in Italian and I conversed with the owners. They were so nice, and could tell I'm from America, but that I'm trying hard to speak Italian. I have already learned so much just from being around people speaking Italian and hearing it all the time.
Christina and I went to a pizza place last night and we each had a lemoncello. It was so strong. We didn't see it coming.
Well, I gots to go. I'll upload pictures later!!

4 comments:

  1. This is a much better explanation of what happened than the one dad gave me, lol. So glad you are doing well! Post photos of your apartment asap! LOVE YOU!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... mom and dad really had no idea what had happened. Haha. Everything happened so fast that I had no time to explain.
      Love you, too!

      Delete
  2. I thought I commented on this... Well what I said was that wait till you try gelato.... Omg I'm drooling again. :)) again so jealous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazey, I've had so much gelato you don't even know. Haha. My roommate and I eat it almost everyday! We even have a specific gelateria that we go to.

      Delete